You know they are wrong, but just in case you need them, here are 5 quick counter-points to arm yourself with so you can have some fun with these folks:
- Crime rates do not “plummet” in places with strict gun control. Australia’s 1996 gun ban is a good example to start with, where it didn’t work … and wouldn’t work here.
- Criminals don’t follow gun laws very well, getting their guns through illegal channels in spite of gun control laws. Many academics have studied this topic … but here’s a good study article to start with (that links to more).
- Following #2, “Gun Free Zone” signs only present a false sense of security, at best. If you think about it, what good is a sign on a wood post going to do anyhow?
- POTUS has the Secret Service, and more guns protecting him than anyone in our country. And Obama wants US to put down OUR guns? We don’t think so.
- What does the “AR” in AR-15 stand for? Not assault rifle like most anti-gunners think. (hint: It stands for ArmaLite). If the anti-gunners can’t even do this tiny bit of homework, why should we listen to anything else they say about guns?
So there you have it. Five counter-points to start a gun control discussion with an anti-gun advocate who might challenge you. Of course these are the simple ones.
Now, after that, you want to laugh a bit? Here are the top 10 Gun Headlines you will never read anywhere.